Consumer behaviour - Economics
Nutrition - Health
Social attitudes and behaviour - Society and culture
|The Food and You Survey was commissioned by the Food Standards Agency (FSA) to collect robust information on the UK public's reported behaviour, attitudes and knowledge towards food issues (such as food safety and healthy eating). A consortium comprising TNS BMRB, the Policy Studies Institute (PSI) and the University of Westminster carried out Waves 1 and 2 of the survey in 2010 and 2012 respectively. Wave 3 was conducted in 2014 by TNS BMRB.
Further information may be found on the FSA's Food and You Survey webpage.
|The objectives of the Food and You Survey, 2012 were to collect quantitative information to enable the FSA to:
- explore public understanding of, and engagement with, the Agency's aim of improving food safety
- assess public attitudes to new developments, such as emerging food technologies
- assess knowledge of, and response to, messages and interventions aimed at raising awareness and changing behaviour
- identify specific target groups for future interventions (e.g. those most at risk or those among whom FSA policies and initiatives are likely to have the greatest impact)
- monitor changes over time (compared with data from Wave 1 or from other sources) in attitudes and behaviour
- broaden the evidence base and develop indicators to assess progress in fulfilling the Agency's strategic plans, aims and targets
The 2012 questionnaire covered the following topics:
- information about household members
- eating habits (including eating out)
- shopping habits
- food safety attitudes and behaviour
- attitudes towards food production
- self-reported health
- healthy eating (Scotland and Northern Ireland only)
By principal investigator(s):
Prior, G. et al. (2011) Exploring food attitudes and behaviours in the UK: findings from the Food and You Survey 2010, London: Food Standards Agency. Retrieved March 28, 2010 from http://www.foodbase.org.uk//admintools/reportdocuments/641-1-1079_Food_and_You_Report_Main_Report_FINAL.pdf.
Prior, G. et al. (2013) Exploring food attitudes and behaviours in the UK: findings from the Food and You Survey 2012, London: Food Standards Agency. Retrieved May 16, 2013 from http://www.foodbase.org.uk//admintools/reportdocuments/805-1-1460_Wave_2_Main_Report.pdf.
Prior, G. and Taylor, L. (2013) Food and You Wave 2: questionnaire testing report, London: Food Standards Agency. Retrieved May 16, 2013 from http://www.foodbase.org.uk//admintools/reportdocuments/805-1-1458_Food_and_You_W2_Question_testing_report_01_10_2012_FINAL.pdf
Resulting from secondary analysis: