Ordering self-completion module data
The self-completion modules contained within the CSEW (formerly BCS) contain sensitive data, and so are not available for End User Licence (standard access). Express permission has to be sought from the depositor before the files may be released to users. A Special Licence system has been introduced and the data are only available to ONS Approved Researchers. However, for 2007-2008 and earlier survey years, the previous conditional access system is still currently in place. Therefore, users should follow the instructions below depending on the year of data required.
BCS 1982 to 2007/08
Users who require self-completion modules should order the data online. To order the data, registered users should use the relevant Download/order link(s), select a previously registered usage or register a new use of data, tick the box(es) in the 'Other media' column and proceed from there. Users should specify in the 'Notes' section which self-completion module(s) they require. Upon receipt of the order the UK Data Service will send the prospective user a form to complete. Users are advised to provide a reasonably detailed description of their intended use of the data. If further information is required, contact the UKDS HelpDesk. This applies to the following modules:
It should be noted that the self-completion data are not allowed to be used for teaching purposes. The sexual victimisation self-completion modules from 1996 and 1998 (SNs 3832 and 4081) are currently unavailable.
- drugs data from the 1996, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2001-2002, 2002-2003, 2003-2004, 2005-2006, 2006-2007 and 2007-2008 surveys (SNs 3832, 4081, 4463, 4786, 4787, 5059, 5324, 5347, 5543, 5755 and 6066)
- domestic violence data from 1996 (SN 3832)
- stalking data from 1998 (SN 4081)
- drinking behaviour data from 2002-2003 (SN 5059), 2003-2004 (SN 5324), 2004-2005 (SN 5347), 2005-2006 (SN 5543), 2006-2007 (SN 5755) and 2007-2008 (SN 6066)
- interpersonal violence (IPV) data from 2001 (SN 4786), 2004-2005 (SN 5347), 2005-2006 (SN 5543), 2006-2007 (SN 5755) and 2007-2008 (SN 6066 - includes data from the 2007-2008 domestic violence and sexual victimisation modules)
- sexual victimisation/assault data from 2000 (SN 4463), 2005-2006 (SN 5543) and 2006-2007 (SN 5755)
- stolen goods data from 2002-2003 (SN 5059), 2003-2004 (SN 5324), 2005-2006 (SN 5543), 2006-2007 (SN 5755) and 2007-2008 (SN 6066)
BCS/CSEW 2008/09 onwards
For the 2008/09 onwards, data from the self-completion modules (described above), a low-level geographic variables dataset and (from 2009/10) data from the children's self-completion module, have been held under separate study numbers to the main survey and are are available only to Office for National Statistics (ONS) Approved Researchers, under Special Licence access conditions. The same applies to SN 6422, British Crime Survey, 2006-2007: Special Licence Access, Social Heterogeneity Variables. From April 2012, responsibility for the survey moved to the ONS, and the BCS became the CSEW. From 2011/12 onwards, the interpersonal violence module (IPV) (comprising data on domestic violence, sexual victimisation and stalking) became available only under Secure Access conditions; prospective users should contact the UKDS HelpDesk in the first instance.