UK Data Service data catalogue record for:
|Title:||2011 Census: Flow Data|
|Alternative title:||2011 Census|
|Depositor:||Office for National Statistics|
Office for National Statistics
Office for National Statistics
Abstract copyright UK Data Service and data collection copyright owner.Census flow data involve flows of individuals in the UK between origins and destinations. These flows are either the residential migrations of individuals from one place of usual residence to another, or of commuters making journeys from home to workplace or place of study.
These data are derived from the questions on the census form relating to usual place of residence one year ago, and the place of work for the respondent's main job. Flow data are currently available at a range of different spatial scales ranging from Output Areas to Local Authority Districts.
The Census Support: Flow Data website facilitates access to the interaction data for members of UK higher and further education institutions. Access is provided through the Web-based Interface to Census Interaction Data (WICID).
The 2011 sets currently held include:
Census migration datasets:
• Special Migration Statistics. Migration data at Local Authority District, Ward, and Output Area level.
• Special Student Statistics. Migration data at Local Authority District, Ward, and Output Area level.
Census commuting datasets:
• Special Workplace Statistics. Commuting data at Local Authority District, Middle-layer Super Output Area, Intermediate Zone (for Scotland), Workplace Zone (for England and Wales), and Output Area level.
Census second residence datasets:
• Special Residence Statistics. Commuting data at Local Authority District, Ward, and Output Area level.
Explicit registration is not required for the 2011 census products that have been released under the Open Government Licence. However, outputs from the 2011 Census classified as 'safeguarded' require users to agree on additional terms and conditions. Access to these datasets is only permitted via Federated Access.
The Flow Data website provides two basic routes to the data.
• WICID is the main route to the flow data. It provides a flexible service to download extracts of data in a variety of forms
• Downloads page allows users to download the original tables as released by ONS.
Access data through Flow Data Website
View the Census flow data guide
|Time period:||27 March 2011 - 27 March 2011|
Local Authority Districts
Super Output Areas (Middle Layer)
Super Output Areas (Northern Ireland)
Inhabitants of Great Britain involved in residential migrations and commuting
Cross-sectional (one-time) study
No sampling (total universe)
|Method of data collection:||
|Weighting:||No weighting used|
|Date of release:|
|First edition:||27 April 2015|
|Copyright:||Crown copyright material is reproduced with the permission of the Controller of HMSO and the Queen's Printer for Scotland|
|Access conditions:||Data may be accessed via the Census Support Flow Data website. Parts of this data is freely available to all and is licensed under the terms of the Open Government Licence. Other parts require a Special License Agreement and require users to be students or staff in UK universities, UK government staff, NHS staff or Research Council staff. These users need to register with UK Data Service first and access the safeguarded data via Federated Access.|
|Availability:||These data are held and distributed by the Census Dissemination Unit (CDU) at MIMAS.|
|Contact:||Get in touch|
By principal investigator(s):
Resulting from secondary analysis: